Monday 1 April 2013

Stupid Is As Stupid Does.

Hello!

I apologize for not posting in a ridiculously long time. I have had a lot on my mind and I wanted to make my next post a good one.

I wanted to bring up something that has been really irking me lately. I've never really talked about this with anyone at all, and I'm still kind of developing my thoughts around it so far. Has anyone else noticed that every time you watch a video on Youtube, or look at a picture on Facebook, the comment section below inevitably deteriorates into a few commenters arguing back and forth over who's the stupidest? I can look at Instagram on any given day and find conversations like this one:


photo.jpg


How many times a day do you hear someone say the words "That's dumb!", "idiotic!", or "stupid!"? I'm not going to waste my breath and say that intelligence isn't a good thing, because that's untrue, and I know that I probably have higher intelligence than normal, but not everybody in the world is really smart, and that's O.K. It's not as though all the people in the world with IQs below 130 live a life of poverty and despair.
I just wanted to question for a moment why it's so acceptable to discriminate against a person based upon their intelligence. A person can't choose how smart they are any more than they get to decide what colour their eyes are, or whether or not they have a genetic predisposition towards breast cancer. You also have to consider that just because one person comes across "dumb" in one situation, doesn't mean you know anything about that person. You have no idea what's going on in that magnificent brain of theirs. Maybe they have a hard time voicing what they're thinking. Maybe they have a learning disorder but are a genius with a paintbrush. Maybe they could solve the world's problems because their brain works a little differently than all the "smart" kids. The fact that someone has a different opinion than your doesn't make them stupid, it makes them the most wonderfully useful person in the world to have around because they are somebody you can learn something from.
It is my humble opinion that "stupid" people don't exist, that they are simply made up to put people's minds at ease when they face a difficult problem. It's a whole lot easier to simply dismiss someone as "stupid" than to take the time to look at a situation from another human being's point of view and understand what would make them come to the conclusion that they have.
I was watching a TEDtalks video (Where have these been all my life, amiright?) recently, and in it, Kathryn Schulz was discussing our society's inherent fear of being wrong. One of the most poignant and relatable points of her talk was a list of assumptions people make when they run into an individual with a differing opinion than theirs, and it goes in this order:

1. This person is ignorant!
2. This person is an idiot!
3. This person is evil!

Numbers 1 and 2 really got me because I know that this has definitely run through my mind before when trying to make my point to someone, and I see this every time I look at a controversial forum or thread, and it couldn't be more false. Kathryn goes on to beautifully describe how being wrong is every individual's best trait. What makes you great is not everything that you do or know or believe or see that is exactly right, it's the "wrong" bits. That's what makes you awesome. What sets you apart. What makes you see animals in clouds and pronounce words wrong or paint purple skies instead of blue ones, and it's AWESOME. You should really watch the video because she made it sound a lot less cheesy than I did.

My point is--stupid is subjective, and if you never take the time to appreciate and understand people you write off as "stupid", you're missing out. The saddest part is, a lot of people are truly gonna believe that they are stupid, and they are never going to realize their potential. They will believe every person who has ever told them that they can't do something because they're too stupid. Maybe they'll never cure cancer or solve world hunger or achieve world peace because everyone said they just weren't smart enough.

I leave you with these photos of Professor Snape and Marilyn Manson -- and they said Hogwarts wasn't real.




Brett :)

No comments:

Post a Comment