Tuesday 2 April 2013

Restricted Mobility.

Heyoooo.

So I can't get a cat because my roomate is allergic. Also I'm allergic. So there's that. But you know what I'm gonna do? I'm gonna get me one of these :)

They're beautiful, I don't even care.

After having Norbert, my hedgehog, and Gus, my fish (R.I.P.), I decided I never want to own another pet that I have to keep in a cage. This whole pet thing is pretty new and exciting to me, and I didn't know for sure what to expect owning a pet for the first time. I got Norbert and Gus because they're pretty low maintenance, and I did do my research before buying them to get an idea of what it would be like. But after having Gus die after about 2 weeks (I took care of him, I swear! Don't yell at meeeee :'( ) I was left feeling really bad. Not the normal pet dying grieving thing. I just felt like his whole life probably sucked and it was partially my fault. I didn't abuse him or anything, I just feel like swimming around in an enclosed space for days on end probably isn't the cat's (fish's?) meow. With Gus, I feel kind of the same. It's not that I don't like him, but I can't exactly cuddle with him. Hedgehogs could honestly care less if you love them or not. And that makes me sad. Because I'm not really providing him with anything better than he could get on his own in the wild. So I've decided to only get pets from now on that 1) can have free roam of the house and 2) appreciate my love. I just want some cat love waaaaaah :(

Now, for something completely different.
Have you or one of your male friends ever complained about the lack of selection in men's clothing? I sure have, and I always kind of agreed that it sucks that there are infinitely more choices in women's fashion. But then, yesterday, it occurred to me: women have more clothing options because most women accept clothes that cause discomfort without a second thought. I'm not saying that all women do or should wear clothes that are uncomfortable, or that men don't ever wear uncomfortable clothing, but I do feel, as a woman, that I am expected to wear things that make me uncomfortable or inconvenience me just to look "feminine". I always kind of thought it sucked, but I never really thought about the implications, aside from the red marks from the waistbands of my jeans or the sore feet I get from wearing uncomfortable shoes. 
Think about it, though; how many women do you think haven't fully participated in something because their clothing simply didn't allow for it? How many girls do you think didn't jump off the high board because they were afraid their bikini would move around? How many ladies were unable even to bend over because their skirt was too short? How many women couldn't breathe because their dress was too tight? Or couldn't kiss because they didn't want to ruin their lipstick? Or couldn't run and play and jump and kick because their jeans couldn't stretch that far or their hair might get messed up.
I don't believe there's anything wrong with wearing any of these things if you do it for you or you love it, but it hurts me that the ideologies that shaped this clothing, that held me back, even exist. It hurts me that I have to decide between feeling sexy or being able to move. It hurts me that this clothing hurts me. 

-Brett.


No comments:

Post a Comment